What is Waste Free in ’23?
Waste Free in ‘23 is an innovative, new recycling process created by the CBO Slums Going Green and Clean (SGGC), located in the Kibera slum of Nairobi, Kenya.
Waste Free in ’23 is unique because it:
- recycles 100% of plastic waste in an environmentally-friendly manner
- recycles waste at locally-built micro-recycling centers located in low-income communities
- recycles waste directly at the source
- eliminates the need for transportation between collection, dumps, and recycling plants
- creates jobs for local members of the community
- provides a source of income through products built from recycled plastic
At the beginning of January 2023, SGGC began recycling 200kg of plastic waste per day in one micro-recycling center, and will increase their recycling capacity to 15 micro-recycling centers recycling 3 tons of waste per day in Kibera by the end of 2023.
We hope to spread the Waste Free in ’23 Initiative worldwide!
To learn more, follow any of the links below: